See the Australian Tax Offices full list of due dates but, in essence, the key ones to be aware of are:
- Annual income tax lodgement and payment
For the 30Jun end of financial year (EOFY) lodgement is due by 15May the following year
eg 30Jun18 is due 15May19
Note: if you're due a tax refund (eg with a R&D tax incentive) we prioritise handling of these returns as soon as possible after the end of the financial year, once your R&D is ready so you get your refund sooner :)
Note: The tax office can deem and notify companies that they should be paying something (known as PAYG instalments) towards the estimated end of year tax payable. When notified, this is included in our quarterly BAS preparations.
- Quarterly Business Activity Statement (BAS) for Goods & Services taxes lodged and (net GST) payment (or refund) due 28th of the month after
eg Jul-Sep BAS is due 28Oct
See How we prepare your BAS for more information
- If/when you're doing payroll it's a whole another level:
- Quarterly PAYG Withholding (taxes taken out of employee pay and due to the ATO) is handled with the quarterly BAS' above until you're at about a A$100k salary level then you're required to lodge a Instalment Activity Statement (IAS) monthly between the quarterly BAS', due the 21st after the end of month
- Quarterly superannuation is due on the 28th of the month after
- Statements to Employee at EOFY are due 14Jul (after EOFY) and employer lodgements are due 14Aug
- At around $47k/month salary you're also up for state based payroll taxes.
See Payroll: Information for Employers for more information